I need help, i cant change the theme. i tried dragging and dropping it but it isn't working. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so were you able to fix it? how?
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I need help, i cant change the theme. i tried dragging and dropping it but it isn't working. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so were you able to fix it? how?
I really like this app! It's perfect for organizing my hobby projects. I just wish I could re-order items without saving, editing by hand and re-importing.
- Status re-naming(I don't need Submitted or Approved but I could use them for other things, it would be fine if I had to edit the file by hand)
- Show numbers with percentages, no hover-wait required(It shows an ugly colon all the time but not the number and it's too slow to appear)
- Multiple project support through normal file use(Just let me double click a project file to open it, then I can store the file in the cloud or a git repo)
- Sub-items(I could live with tasks as collections if I could re-order)
There also seems to be a tiny issue with hover to fade up. It shows a slightly blurry text that snaps clear when the fade is done. This may be a Windows thing or maybe it's doing a cross fade between the two texts with different alphas. Perhaps it's just a side effect of whatever UI library this is.
There's a lot to love here. It's a wonderfully simple but still kind of flexible application! I like how it lets you focus on the essential and does not distract you with dozens of features that you don't need anyway. Also I like how fast and responsive everything is! Great job!
Do see some aspects of the UI / usability that would benefit from improvements. Some of this has already been mentioned by other people, and I'm sure that you're already thinking about doing of what I'm suggesting below. But for completeness' sake, let me list all my thoughts.
First of all, some of the interaction patterns used here, are slighly different from what people are used to (at least those who work in MacOS or Windows), this can be confusing. At least, it did confuse me a lot. I think the main issues I had are these:
- Clicking and dragging anywhere on the window, including the items themselves, (except in some cases, when you edit text) will drag the whole window around. I do find myself dragging that window around a lot while instictively wanting to drag an item or a collection, or just trying to select text.
- You can't just drag&drop items or collections, which is what I would really expect.
- Right click usually brings up a contextual menu. In this case it performs a primary operation (setting an item to DONE)
What I would do:
- Restrict window dragging to the title bar, if needed make the title bar a bit bigger. I wouldn't mind of the dotted region below the TAPE logo would also let me drag the window.
- Turn the move-up button on the collection's header into a grab handle, letting me drag the collection around freely.
- Add the same handle to items.
- There's plenty of space for buttons on the items. consider adding a button to select the item's state. Could be as simple as a dropdown letting me choose between the various options without having to cycle through them. Right click to set the item to DONE, does work fine for me, but I can see some people being confused by it. A checkmark button somewhere would be more discoverable and be more in line with commonly used interaction patterns.
- -Being able to add a freeform text (note) to each collection could be handy to add meta info for projects. this could live at the end of the block, where the item count is being displayed.
- Quickly hiding DONE items to focus on what's left to do would be handy
would be cool if the text could be non capitalized, it would relay help for accessibility. but other then that it is realy clean and easy to use interface
Personally I prefer the caps because they make me less fussy about punctuation, but yes, accessibility must come first.
Perhaps it should be a setting one can set.
Used it at work today, it was pretty helpful. I wish I could drag and drop the collections around.
So close to perfect for me... I just wish I could make a copy of a collection easily.
Seems like a great tool! Thanks!
I loved this tool! It's intuitive and very useful. Actually, I am very curious if it's possible to backup the project archieves or use it linked to a online plattaform.
Very clean and practical !
Question, how exactly should the CSV file be formatted for import, it doesn't seem to work for me, I only get a collection with the name of the file but no items inside.
Than you for reaching you. CSV data needs to be in .txt format. We will add support for .csv in future.
how do i get themes that will change the color of ITEM STATES? i have downloaded themes from the link on github, but everytime i drag them in, they change the colors everywhere EXCEPT the item states. this is maddening. i do not want RED and ORANGE in my theme. :/
Thank you for reaching out. Definitions for the states are toward the bottom of the theme .svg where it says 'Tape'. The definitions above those are for the rest of the UI.
this is really great, but we'd love to have the ability to reorder items within a collection... maybe look into how Trello does its UX?
I'm so impressed with this.
I'm an anxious college student who had a really rough time when the Covid-19 restrictions were put in place. I'm starting to get back on my feet and have a lot of deferred work to get through. This is helping me keep track of everything I need to do. It's simple, beautiful, and no-nonsense. In the past, I've messed around with Trello and Evernote and Notion, and convinced myself that the hours spent organising my planning was productive. This is so breathtakingly simple, and it's not possible to do much other than list stuff. And that is absolutely a selling point for me!
I know it's not made for students, but it has everything I need. Thank you!!
This is so nice and great. Exactly what I need to keep track of projects that are "never completely done", need rework and time. it's simple like an open door to get focused, not the "productivity gates" that keep me worried I'm not doing enough. Thanks ! buying it outside of the bundle :)
It looks neat and charmingly minimalist, but I'm disappointed by the requirement to use drag-and-drop to import stuff, which I literally can't do in my terminal-focused desktop environment that deliberately lacks a graphical file manager. I'd hope I could do the standard thing and pass a file in as a command line argument, but it doesn't work.
I know, I know, I'm a weirdo, but people also sometimes just don't have access to a mouse for whatever reason.
I also wish there was a way to disable the dialog that pops up whenever I start the program asking to add desktop icons and an application menu entry. Those things aren't even relevant to my weirdo desktop environment, so it's doubly obnoxious to have to click "no" every single time.
Its a really nice way and approach to sorting and production! I really love this and will be using it more often!
This is everything I've ever wanted and ever needed in a productivity tool. Thank you so much.
2 years ago reordering collection items was 'planned', I could not find an easy way to do this.
Is this still not possible after 2 years?
The decorative part on the bottom also takes waaay too much space.
Other than that, it looks like the app has potential.
Really enjoying this tool. It's minimalist and thus does not allow this and that. I think that creates value.
You are being flodded with comments now but I also have a usability concern:
I started using Tape at work (for half a day) and then discovered the DROP THIS IN TAPE.json and accidentally clicked on the text in the top which deleted all entries. At first I didn't even know what happend. After I did it again I was able to read that this would erase all data when clicking on the text...
While every field has an interaction in this app, it wasn't visually clear that something like this would happen.
I think the application should export a json periodically for safety. Or even start with tutorial json loaded.
Just got this in the bundle and it's amazing! Sorting out my mind clutter really efficiently & has me genuinely overjoyed. Excited to see it develop as it goes on! <3
I like it so far! Customizing the statues in the future would be neat! (Ie: started > sketch > lineart) etc
Chiming in with others saying rearranging items in collections would also be nice.
Great Tool that I found in the Racial Justice and Equality.. Many thanks for putting in bundle.. I really happy with what Ive seen so far of this.
I'm enjoying this program but a couple UI/X decisions seem a little weird to me, as others have pointed out. What's really bothering me is I like having detailed to-do items and since everything is all uppercase and single-line, I can't view my entire items without individually double clicking the task to put it on edit mode, and then using the arrow keys to slowly scroll the text so I can read it.
very nice, i will start using it as to do list for my projects.. would be nice to be able to rearrange items in collections, i know i can rearrange collections, but items would be good too. example, i added a new project i had started a while ago, i added things as i remembered, then i decided to add the date to keep record, but its middle of the list, i would like to move it to be first item but i cant...
PS. i love the themes...
Agree. More freedom and possibilities to rearrange things (especially in windowed fullscreen) would be nice.
But otherwise it's a really nice app. I like it :)
Hi. Am I licensed to use this at work?
Hi- this is a super useful application, and thank you for making it! My only problem at the moment is that I'm unable to change the theme, I've tried to drag and drop the svg onto the UI but nothing changes. Is there a way to fix this?
I bought the Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality not expecting to find a legitimately useful productivity tool. I'm excited to work with TAPE and love the UI! The only complaint I have so far is that the highlight for searches goes away much too quickly; I can't pick it out in time and have to keep running the search until I find it. Other than that, it's wonderful!
Any plans to possibly add shortcuts for setting a specific label? For example, hovering the mouse over an item and clicking 1 for priority, 2 for working, etc.
I want to second that this is a great tool as it stands, but it would be a much bigger help to me if I could customize the statuses. This is something I'd want to use for my animation workflow so being able to set what stage a scene is in - storyboard, animatic, background, keyframes, compositing, etc - it would definitely be something I'd be inclined to use daily. Hope to hear updates from you guys soon!
Hi ! Thanks for developing Tape, it looks great. I'd have one simple request which would greatly improve the UX for me (and for other people with bad eyesight ;) ) . Could the "+" and "-" minus button also control the size of the collection titles? (they remain small, they don't scale with the rest of the texts).
Can you let us customize how many "states" there are and what the names are? I like the idea, but the current cycle doesn't really match my workflow.
Thank you for reaching out. Customisation of states is not possible at this time but it is something we are looking into.
Love this app, looks sleek and is easy to use! The only improvement I would want is an online app that I could have on all my devices. Great for tracking productivity locally though
Pretty cool, I will give it a try for sure! And a question, what you used to create this tool?
I currently use GitKrakens Glo Boards to manage/maintain my notes and tasks but am always keeping my eye out for something a bit more customizable, as the typical "Trello" style horizontal only layout really waste a lot of space. I like that this takes a fluid approach and always fills whatever space is available.
So far I like what I am seeing, though, I have only used it for a few moments. Already, something I think it could really benefit from would be to remain a running background app that resides on the taskbar that you can show/hide with a hotkey.
Often when working on projects I will have multiple IDE's and other software open on 3 monitors and it can become a mess. Often if I have an idea or think of a new feature I want to add randomly, I have to write it down right away or I can forget all about it in a matter of seconds if something else gets my attention before I write it down. To be able to quickly hit a hotkey that brings up the app, I can add it to an 'ideas' collection to later revisit more thoroughly, then hit a hotkey again to hide the app.
I will definitely be spending some more time trying things out, though.
Lastly, based on the images, it looks like there should be at least 13 themes? I only seem to have 5 that came with it. I like the base of the darker themes, but there just isn't enough contrast to them, so it sort of makes everything feel blended together. I will try to see if I can do some customization to them, though.
Most tools I try just are not worth taking the time to offer suggestions about, as the devs get tired of them and move on to other things. This tool has a lot of potential to be extremely popular, I feel, so I definitely hope you take suggestions to heart. Keep up the great work.
That is a beautiful progress tracker and work organiser. Wish it were also online and in app to follow me anywhere :)
Note: It took me some time to see the "drop me in Tape" file :D
This tool looks nice but it has some issues.
Every item in a collection only shows one line of text. Not matter how long it is. If it doesn't fit, the text gets cut off and I can't find a way to see it. Except when editing it, but that's not very convenient.
It seems like you can't change the order of collections. That would be really helpful.
You can only have one Project/Database. There is no easy way to switch to another project like... loading another file. Using one collection per project gets pretty messy over time.
So, it's not bad, but I can't really use it. But I will check it out later. Maybe this improves on some of this things in the future.
Could you increase the font size, or can we fiddle in the software to increase it? I think it is very small for my monitor...
Thank you for reaching out. You are able to change the font size with + and - on your keyboard.
what is this?
Well, I like it, I think it has potential! It's a neat little tool, and it is very pretty.
But there are FIVE things I'd NEED before using it practically on my projects:
1. Option to bring back the top Window Handle. There's no full screen, minimize, or close, buttons, and no place to grab, which makes grabbing the window to move it around or resizing it a hassle. I'd love to full screen the app and window it again without having to drag it out manually too.
2. Sub Categories / Sub-Collections. This has been asked for already, but it would make a world of difference. I currently use an app called Things, which does this to organize my project lists and it is a must have feature.
For example: Project -> Category -> Task.
3. Cloud sync and or Collaboration. I know this one may not be so easy to integrate, but working on a game or film is a team effort (most of the time) and if only one person can see the schedule it makes it kinda useless.
4. The animations... UHHHGGG! That is to say they feel gratuitous and slow. Hovering to expand a progress bar and then hovering again and waiting a full second for the percentages to appear is maddening. I want to be able to see my projects "at a glance" and if I have to click and then hover to get the information I need then... well, it's unusable.
5. Easier way to delete items and collections. It just takes too long and is very obtuse... Double click (on text only!), Hold backspace or press CMD + Return, Press enter again. It should be much simpler than that. Also every time I try to select text (Even when editing the title) it drags the window around instead, and it makes me wanna scream, lol.
I apologize if this all sounds rather scathing, I really don't mean it to be, I think it's a clever little app, and well worth $5. But hopefully these changes can be made someday!
Some other notes:
- Icon to bring collection to top... its terrible. It does not indicate what it does visually. The shape of the icon is four squares, which universally is perceived as something you can grab and move up or down. If that's not the case, it should be an arrow pointing up. And at that rate, make two arrows, one to move it up a level and one to move it down a level. This would increase usability when restructuring ten fold.
- The button to add a new collection is just a bar at the top that looks like a collection is being cutoff. Visually it doesn't make sense, and again, it does not inform the user as to what it does, maybe just a plus button at the top that changes to "New Collection" when you hover over it.
- The themes are pretty, but most of them are too low in contrast which makes readability a bit of a chore. The Frame.io and Discord ones are my favourite though.
- Last but not least, there should be a keyboard short cut to make a new item! Or when you press enter and you've just made a new collection, pressing enter again should add an item.
Hmm so i was going to claim this just now ( it was for free) but my internet was down and couldn't and now its suddenly 5$ despite saying 20 hours remaining